Monday, September 05, 2005

Roots

Click to Enlarge Detail






















Medium: Digital manipulation of etching.
Select thumbnail on left to enlarge image. Detail included.

44 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are a hell of a lot of roots! the trees look so happy...i guess they're celebrating them:D
love the intricacy
cheers,
kerry
p.s. so glad you and others have been getting verisystems...that spam has become irritating!

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger vfm4 said...

this one is very strong really.. love looking at it...

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super duper - banskia bedlam..maldeb aiksnab - repud repuS

Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I was rooted what to do for this week's IF submission of Roots Kerry. The trees look happy because well rooted :)

Thanks Vfm4! Maybe it is strong because I have strong roots :)

Hheheheeee. You crack me up Detlef!!! This bedlam of Banksias live on a nearby headland ... had to strrrrretch some roots from them due to little time this week.

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Marty M. Ito said...

wao super fine detail work!!!!
when I saw your awesome work, I felt Great African Wind!

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Mick said...

As usual, a very strong piece. This sure reminds me of pictures or movies I've seen of your Outback, by the way. I love the way you've blended the colors too.

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Rowantree said...

Nice work with a lot of details !

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Wao PaintMonster ... you either have a flatulence problem or are referring to some 'Mean Woman Blues'. Either way hope you have rooted back to Earth :)

These Banksia trees abound the coastal plains Mick. They get a new lease on life when burnt :)

Thank you Rowantree for your positive comments every week :)

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

That's so cool! It looks like a bunch of ants wearing African masks all standing on top of one another's shoulders in a big circus at (or Broadway show)

Monday, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Heehaww Tony ... OK I'm starting to see the African connection now! The Banksia cones on these trees are often referred to as 'old men' because they have eyes and whiskers. Haven't been close enough to an ant to spot whiskers but guess African masks often have attached hair :)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger anelyse said...

Vibrant way of painting! I really like this one, well done!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger elegraph said...

wow. this is fabulous. so much intricate detail!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger Valaine said...

the lines are awesome in this piece - love the detail and the mood caused by the colors chosen.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! you've knocked me on the floor with the detail and line work in this piece! love linework and detail ;)

M

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger Sarah said...

This is a fantastic piece with so much detail ...I love it and cold sit and look at it for ages. Amazing!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thank you Anelyse, Kg and Valaine! The upper detail is from a zinc etching and the colour has been added digitally - including further detail. On this plain there are many more lines but digitally they have disappeared.

Hhehehe ... I KNOW you love linework and detail Mustashrik :)

Don't get too cold Rainbowtrout - imagine the heat of an Australian summer sunset :)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful, beautiful- its very Aboriginal- I love your work!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto on the beautiful and the aboriginal. Just really good work.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger Sara said...

So much detail, and yes, I agree a very Aussie and Aboriginal look - love it :) !

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

It must be very Aboriginal Anonymous, Janeys and Sara! I think it would be more so than African; although Australia was supposed to break off from the bottom of Africa - it is where Australia began its roots :)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the background and the etching.
Banksia! I thought it looked familar.
I know of some wood turners here in the US who love to use those pods in their work. Hard for them to get at times

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger chacha said...

awesome anon. love this one, as i always do. it has a very rustic feel to it, and i love the fading of the colors. nice work. this one is a tough one for me so im not sure what to do. also love the intricate line work, very kool!!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005  
Blogger JacqueLynn said...

WOW, I love the movement, the detail, the lines. It's like looking at dancing plants. Love it.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Our coasters are made from sliced Banksia cones Toni! This type of tree was planted on my GGGrandparent's grave and each generation has one in their garden. The tree at my parents was 100 years old before I was born. They are protected in National Parks here.

Thank you Chacha - you'll create something good :)

Thanks JaqueLyn! These trees do hold a lot of character. You might know of a story called Snugglepot and Cuddlepie by May Gibbs. The Banksias were ugly and wicked little men !

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BELLISSIMI LAVORI!!!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger steve said...

This is the first time I've seen you do this kind of fine-line nature work, Anonymous. I luv it ! It's very spooky and winsome, looking. There definitly seems to be an anthorpomorphic quality to those treeroots and their expressions.

Makes me long for Halloween to be here right now, I can already taste those tootie rolls and herseys mini candy bars and fried pumpkin seeds...
:-)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger S~F said...

Great etching! And I like what you've done with it on the computer.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks Ody!!! You have a bellissimi language :)

You're excited Steve! Fine line work is how my art began to multiply - glad you like and think it's spooky. Heheehee and taste my BIRTHDAY cake Dedede dedede dedede ooooOOOOOOOO

Thank you Jaglep!!!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger coffee81 said...

ah! a standing piece that has a lot of roots!

Visit mine in www.coffee81.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Aravis said...

Somehow with this one, the more I look at it the more I seem to see. I love your choice of colors as well.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger carla said...

This is very beautiful with its intricate, lacey feeling. It almost looks like a closeup of the wings of an insect! I love the blending of color beyween the top and the bottom. In the larger image its easy to see the patterns within the background as well. So nice!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Although damaged - still standing Coffee81!

Thank you AravisArwen, there is indeed a lot there to either see or imagine :)

Thanks Carla; the tips of Banksia fingers and ends of their arms appear delicate but have an old toughness as you go down their knobbly old torso! Their roots are impossible to break!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger knottydon said...

this is a fantastic illo! unbelievable mind you have there! great talent!

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Ian T. said...

This is just amazing! It has a wonderful Dreamtime feel, with the "roots" in a sense reflected in the earth (as above, so below). As well as Dreamtime spirits, the image of the branches and roots brings to mind May Gibbs' Bad Banksia men from Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

I love the distribution of linework, the texture of the whole surface, the colours and the sense of connection above and below ground. As I stared at the linework, I see other shapes emerge - wonderful!

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Ian T. said...

P.S. Just read the comments and saw I was right about the Banskia men!

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Unbelievable mind is something I have been accused of having before Knottydon :) Glad you like.

Hheheheee Ian T, I'm finding it amusing seeing a few of the Australian IF submitters weekly corresponding with similar pages. Not realizing at the time of final creation, this image bounces from our comments last week as seen in your own submission. I can’t look at Gumnuts or Banksias without thinking of May Gibbs’ work. Do you think of Mem Fox’s Possum Magic when spreading a vegemite sandwich?

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the colors. it's gorgeous. do I say that too often?

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the colors. it's gorgeous. do I say that too often?

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Toyebot said...

Detail is amazing...Great choice in color too!

Saturday, September 10, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Say again Amy?
One too many times :) Hheheeee

Thanks Toyebot :)

Saturday, September 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

came here via "depth" and realized, what I missed last week! It's realy outstanding good. I like the idea, that it's above and beneath the surface the same. (and I love your delight moving dream-submission as well)

Saturday, September 10, 2005  
Blogger andrea said...

I love this!

Sunday, September 11, 2005  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

grr,, now im almost hating myself why i almost forgot to go here and havent gone to your illo last week!

this is creepingly magnificent!! love the way you contrasted the colors.. made it look an abyss of forsakeness..

im still at awe... woaht a great mind you have! its just way too beautiful to describe...

Sunday, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Than you for your positive comments Papunella and Andrea :)

Love magnificant creepy Atomicvelvetsigh :) I also find it difficult these days to see ALL the IFs each week. Hheheee thanks :)

Sunday, September 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home