Saturday, August 06, 2005

Empty

Click to EnlargeClick to EnlargeDetailDetail











Made with Australian empties.
Medium: Sculpture - Aluminium cans and bike parts.
Size: 400m square.

The first image is of complete sculpture manipulated digitally. The single guy has been squeezed out of shape due to children playing with him like a doll. He stands 300mm tall. Select larger thumbnails to enlarge.

49 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

In Australia we call an empty can an 'empty'.

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Blogger steve said...

That's awesome, Anonymous !
Too bad you couldn't return those soda pop cans for 10 cent refunds. You'd be rich !

At least I think those are pop cans...
Hmmmmmm.

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Some are soda pop cans for grown ups only Steve :)

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Blogger isay said...

nice take of the topic! is it kinda hard to come up with this illustration?

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Blogger knottydon said...

is this a photo or an illo? i couldn't tell the difference ;oP very fancy indeed

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT:D!!!! lmao....love the sculpture sincerely, and love that you've utilized the backbone of auzzie culture!
p.s. i do believe oz has the biggest beers i've ever seen....i can't believe you can actually go to the pub and order a victoria bitter that size...heaven!
cheers,
kerry

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Isay and Knottydon, not difficult to illustrate 'empty'; photographed a sculpture and played around with it in Photoshop :)

Heeehe Kerry - cheers :)

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting take, well executed!

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastically witty :) I love the figure - can imagine it animated - it actually puts me in mind of sportsmen plastered in corporate sponsors logos. Wouldn't it be great if you could get brewery sponsorship lol .....

E

Saturday, August 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much blood did you lose during the sculpture phase? Very inspiring work. Never tried photographing art to make more art.

Sunday, August 07, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thank you for commenting unknown visiting Anonymous :)

These are indeed modelled on fine male specimens Monkeypaints. Think friends would also think it would be great if I got a brewery sponsorship lol :)

No blood James, have nimble fingers from floristry wiring skills which is how the cans were combined :)

Sunday, August 07, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

interesting :O)

Sunday, August 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant as per usual, Anon. So if I keep drinking beer you'll be in a position to accept my empties - I couldn't think of a greater incentive if that was the case (or slab). All the VB (very best).

Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

Sunday, August 07, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Pleased you find interest RebeccaShane :)

To be accepted as brilliant is not to be rejected Detlef :) A Tooheys Old only drinker myself, you are very welcome to consume VB (very big) amounts towards my sculpture creations. I need twenty cans per figure, don't drink them all at once VB (vicious bastard).

Sunday, August 07, 2005  
Blogger JacqueLynn said...

As always I am amazed by your work. This one is very fun! I love the idea of it and it is executed beautifully. Wonderful!

Sunday, August 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool idea. I think if those were in stores, people would buy them!

Mark Stinson
www.comixscene.com

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Blogger Melicrious said...

These are awsome and v. aussie to boot!! I love the VB right on the chest :)

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

What more can i say other than this is a very cool illustration! Love the compostion and idea ;)

http://mustashrik.blogspot.com

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really teriffic! I love that you are recyling and also that you let "Play" happen. I used to gather all our plastic milk jugs and just before recycle day I would hot glue them all together like some wierd animal or man. The guys on the pick up truck were always soooo careful when they took "it" away.

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Blogger Rowantree said...

Very cool idea !!

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Heeehee, yes fun JacqueLynn - although my family didn't think so in the process because they were sent out on many excursions re demands for finding an orange can, or green one etc. Guess our neighbourhood looked tidy at the time though :)

Think their price wouldn't be so cool Mark, nice idea though :)

You were STILL awake at 1.30am Katherine? Email me next time if you get bored - thanks for the comment, Aussie is VB (very best) :)

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks Mustashrik, maybe my fine male specimens can dance with your harlequin :)

Hheeee Ginger Pixels, I have a few recycled toy sculptures around to play with. Cheruboy makes milk container monsters although I have never watched out to see how the garbage men treat them - hilarious!!!

Thanks for your comment Rowentree :)

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Blogger coffee81 said...

hi! my new blog addy is coffee81-studio.blogspot.com

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Blogger coffee81 said...

ok..bad news...not wrking. i'll use back the old one. sori

Monday, August 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these sculptures. Completely imaginative and original.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks MBC Design and Cynische for your positive comments :)

Hope things are sorted Coffee81 ... do you like my sculptures?

Tuesday, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

I often feel empty after I empty a few...
Hey glad you liked the print! I'm new to mailing prints, so I was hoping the cardboard would be enough. I didn't want to put it in tube then you'd have to flaten it out. I should probably bag them also, in case of water damage.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Alcohol can have that effect Anthony :(

The cardboard is perfect. If I post during foreboding/bad weather I put the cardboard slices in a clear shopping bag. I also use a bubble envelope if posting multiples Size 7 is good.

So everyone knows what we are jabbering about - I am a proud owner of one of Anthony's prints :)
Found at http://awcomix.blogspot.com/2005/07/new-stuff.html

Tuesday, August 09, 2005  
Blogger carla said...

Your sculptures are...wow, I don't know what to say...cool doesn't seem quite enough. It's pretty amazing what you've created with empty cans! The standing fellow looks like a motorcycle racer. I think the digital works are brilliant as well...what a very neat interpretation of empty!

Tuesday, August 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what to saw except "wow".

Tuesday, August 09, 2005  
Blogger chacha said...

ive been waiting for a good topic for me to pull out my fave 3d sculpture i created back in high school and still to this day love dearly! hopefully i get to use it soon so i can show you guys. i love these guys those. i love how all the different can art gives him more life and color. right on.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a creative use of empty cans. Your digital version of the sculpture is quite amazing.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

The standing guy does look like a motorcycle racer Carla. Must be the huge amount of drink sponsors written on his outfit and helmet shaped head :)

Thanks Janey! Chacha, glad you noticed the time spent choosing specific cans for right places to add interest :) Happy the digital version is to your liking Anj:)

Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Fern Lady said...

OOOOO! Very cool!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Aravis said...

Just incredible work!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
Blogger coffee81 said...

sorry for asking you something not related to ur work...just need some help here...Does anyone know any website that teaches Corel Painter?

Wednesday, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

Fosters has so many, many uses!

Thursday, August 11, 2005  
Blogger vfm4 said...

i had to look twice... great idea, i love recycled things!

Thursday, August 11, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Glad you ooooo cool, incredible and love Fern Lady, Aravis Arwen and Vfn4 :)

I use Photoshop Coffee81. Maybe you should ask on a forum somewhere?

Many, many, many Tony. This is just one of them :)

Thursday, August 11, 2005  
Blogger Ian T. said...

These might be related to my tin man and are similarly empty :).

Someone got full to empty those cans! I really like the thought that you've put into the arrangement and symmetry of the cans/colours in the figures. Somehow they remind me of Olympic cyclists - the colours and logos on a form-fitting suit - maybe it's partly the wheels in the first one.

Brilliant and inspired!

Thursday, August 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quite clever. :)
great sculpture. It looks like it was labor intensive.

Thursday, August 11, 2005  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

wow.. very original!! great conceptualization! so whats the inspiration behind this wonderful work of art?

Friday, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

There must be an Australian unconscious echo of imagery reverberating the country Ian T. :)

Weeks and weeks intensive Amy :)

Good question Atomicvelvetsigh! The inspiration was a challenge to create a sculpture made from one material only, including method of joining. Australia had the Olympics which probably played a part in visual concept :)

Friday, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

The empty sculptue is amazing.

Saturday, August 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sculpture is awsome :-)

Saturday, August 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is brilliant work.

Thursday, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Hah, amazing, awsome and brilliant - thanks Kim, Jeroen and Anonymous :)

Thursday, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! What an exciting project! How very cool! I love it, great colors and form. How fun!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Great fun to make!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home