love it babe...looks like a reedy weedy underwater scene...she'd better be careful, she'll get "the itch"! it really does look like a stained glass piece with the overlay and texture... cheers, kerry
Hello Chacha and Kerry - my two equally devoted commenters :) Levitation whilst dreaming has to do with the uplift Chacha – yes I’m weird :) Oh no bities amongst reedy weeds here Kerry unless you want to dream about them :) The foliage has to do with a feeling I get when in the wilderness. It’s the closest translation of a reoccurring sense I feel when dreaming. Perhaps the spirit analogy has transformed your visions to stained glass windows often found in churches? Now I've gone arty farty!
I've seen your comment to my Illustration and came to tell you that it was made in acrylics.I always work with acrylics. It is my version of Peter Pan and I did it for the children's books fair in Bologna-italy. And what about yours?Is it in acrylic or digital.Are you a painter? It seems so...:-)Greetings Carla
Thank you Rowantree - you must really like it. I suppose it must look like a stained glass window - that's three of you now :)
Hello Carla, welcome to Australia :) Ahhh acrylic - you have a way with acrylic paint to make it soft! I guessed there was a fairy tale in your dream :)
These are two separate images printed from collagraph plates made from cardboard with oil and water based inks on Magnani paper. The paper comes from an over 500 year old paper mill all the way from Pescia in Tuscany! It is my favourite paper and I buy enough to last me two years each order :)
The collagraphs were photographed then digitally manipulated in Photoshop to enhance 'dreams' by softening. Yes I am also a painter :)
Thank you very much Caribbean Colors :) There are all sorts of collagraphs done in many different ways. I simply cut into cardboard with a knife to make my plates then print on an etching press. Glad you learnt about 'what is a collagraph' :)
The bush spirit manifests itself in gum leaves - very apt, considering the bush mythology and (of course the context of dreaming) in artistic movements here in Oz. I think the colours are very realistic I can almost smell the eucalyptus scents. May I enquire as to what the rest of the Bush Series consists of? I must also seek your advice re: paper - what might the paper you use be like for drawing?
Thank you for your positive comments Fern Lady and Ginger :)
Hello Detlef - I have been missing your new drawings! The bush series are a fusion of the human form with elements of nature. Thanks :)
For sharp pencil drawing I like to use Arches Aquarelle or BFK Rives. Frisk Illustration board is good for ink pen or acrylic paint; and Hahnemuhle is a beautiful soft paper for graphite and almost anything else. Paper choice depends on materials used, process, effect wanted, also what the purpose of the drawing is for; lastly budget :)
This is so sensual and intoxicating. I love the ripe, organic colors and the wonderful curves of the figure. The texture you achieved is wonderful...it almost looks like it's on fabric. Beautiful piece!
You are right about the fabric Carla - it does have fibres more than glass to me also :)
Nice someone sees my work growing Onclejohann! This bush series is printed with a bleeding edge which has no border for the same non bordered reason :)
Hi Katherine - thanks! Hope you get to the beach this week with this sudden heat wave - or find a tranquil spot in the bush and have a snooze amongst the bush sprits that live around these parts :)
It's strange how hidden that figure is when it contrasts so starkly with what flows around it. I love the feeling of movement - the leaves look like flame and liquid and feather - fire, water and air.
Of course now you have to show the rest of the series :)
Thank you for your positive comments Toni and Sara. Hello Pink Lady! I am glad you feel the elements which are supposed to be felt from this image. The figure is camouflaged :) Showing the rest of the series would be selfishly tedious but one might sneak into a future topic for Illustration Friday :)
A wonderful journey into Acheringa, Anonymous! It definitely has an underwater influence to it, like a gently flowing rhythm of water currents and plant fronds. Perhaps she is a Silkie or a salt water Neirid or a slumbering Siren.
Hello Kim Carney, you aren't losing your mind ... you followed my comment via email :) Just checked back and I'm very grateful for your new Illustrator lesson. I'm trying to re-learn after being away from it for ten years and your added description of process has helped - thanks!
What lovely visions Steve – I have looked at the image in a new way now, perhaps there is water after all :)
New visions also from your comment Tony – I went from thinking maybe she is a mermaid of Steve’s then wondered why her body would be under banana or willow trees. This led me to see the figure as a drowned woman camouflaged by foliage on the banks of a river.
If anyone dreams to leave something REALLY positive are VERY welcome now!
The layers are moving against each other - flowing in a dreamlike way. Yes, I sense the "dreaming" part of this, the white figure form melding into the leaves. It's funny - I went through a phase of removing all the Aboriginal mythological elements from my work a long time ago, only to find but recently that I'm partly indigenous! The Dreaming is a great idea for this topic and your work is beautiful and resonant as always.
I have a good excuse for being mature Mustashrik, love being seen as sophisticated :)
Thank you Aravis your weekly comments are very much appreciated :)
Ian T. - there was a time when it was considered wrong to include Aboriginal elements and/or mythological interpretation in art unless you knew you were of Aboriginal descent. I have also gone down a corresponding path since plus times have changed now. I think it is indicative our art reflects Aboriginal culture because it is part of Australian culture. This image comes from my ‘truth’ which includes the past and the place and time I now dream :)
39 Comments:
i just learned what a collagraph was yesterday. That's cool stuff.
Very beautiful and sensual. I like how it seems abstract at first but then you spot the female figure. Gorgeous!
This is rich and lush. As usual, A, a terrific print!
Thank you for your comments Leigh Anne, Jensen Blue and Mick :) These are from my Bush Spirits series. I often feel their sense in my dreams :)
awesome!! looks like a beautiful piece of standglass work. it has a very uplifting feel to it. nice job!!
love it babe...looks like a reedy weedy underwater scene...she'd better be careful, she'll get "the itch"! it really does look like a stained glass piece with the overlay and texture...
cheers,
kerry
Hello Chacha and Kerry - my two equally devoted commenters :) Levitation whilst dreaming has to do with the uplift Chacha – yes I’m weird :) Oh no bities amongst reedy weeds here Kerry unless you want to dream about them :) The foliage has to do with a feeling I get when in the wilderness. It’s the closest translation of a reoccurring sense I feel when dreaming. Perhaps the spirit analogy has transformed your visions to stained glass windows often found in churches? Now I've gone arty farty!
Great piece Anonymus, I like everything... colors, textures and really look like a stained glass !
I there,here I am again for a visit
to Australia.
I've seen your comment to my Illustration and came to tell you that it was made in acrylics.I always work with acrylics.
It is my version of Peter Pan and I did it for the children's books fair in Bologna-italy.
And what about yours?Is it in acrylic or digital.Are you a painter?
It seems so...:-)Greetings Carla
Thank you Rowantree - you must really like it. I suppose it must look like a stained glass window - that's three of you now :)
Hello Carla, welcome to Australia :) Ahhh acrylic - you have a way with acrylic paint to make it soft! I guessed there was a fairy tale in your dream :)
These are two separate images printed from collagraph plates made from cardboard with oil and water based inks on Magnani paper. The paper comes from an over 500 year old paper mill all the way from Pescia in Tuscany! It is my favourite paper and I buy enough to last me two years each order :)
The collagraphs were photographed then digitally manipulated in Photoshop to enhance 'dreams' by softening. Yes I am also a painter :)
Thank you very much Caribbean Colors :) There are all sorts of collagraphs done in many different ways. I simply cut into cardboard with a knife to make my plates then print on an etching press. Glad you learnt about 'what is a collagraph' :)
So dreamy & lovely...subtle and mysterious. I love them!
Positively beautiful.
The bush spirit manifests itself in gum leaves - very apt, considering the bush mythology and (of course the context of dreaming) in artistic movements here in Oz. I think the colours are very realistic I can almost smell the eucalyptus scents. May I enquire as to what the rest of the Bush Series consists of? I must also seek your advice re: paper - what might the paper you use be like for drawing?
Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com
Thank you for your positive comments Fern Lady and Ginger :)
Hello Detlef - I have been missing your new drawings! The bush series are a fusion of the human form with elements of nature. Thanks :)
For sharp pencil drawing I like to use Arches Aquarelle or BFK Rives. Frisk Illustration board is good for ink pen or acrylic paint; and Hahnemuhle is a beautiful soft paper for graphite and almost anything else. Paper choice depends on materials used, process, effect wanted, also what the purpose of the drawing is for; lastly budget :)
aiyyyyy...farty bad! don't be going too close luv! i'm glad no itchies were inflicted!
cheers,
kerry
it's a really dream..
kiss..
fragmented shadows behind satin.. i dunno but these words came into mind as i saw your illo! beautifully done, Anonymous! 8)
You're right Kerry - could be dangerous :(
Wake up Ody ... think she is dreaming ...
Thankyou for writing poety for my image Atomicvelvetsigh, it's a beautiful written quote for the piece :)
This is so sensual and intoxicating. I love the ripe, organic colors and the wonderful curves of the figure. The texture you achieved is wonderful...it almost looks like it's on fabric. Beautiful piece!
wow! this is gorgeous and so tranquil. The use of negitive space and the female is just icing on the cake to what is a simply beautiful image :)
You are right about the fabric Carla - it does have fibres more than glass to me also :)
Nice someone sees my work growing Onclejohann! This bush series is printed with a bleeding edge which has no border for the same non bordered reason :)
Hi Katherine - thanks! Hope you get to the beach this week with this sudden heat wave - or find a tranquil spot in the bush and have a snooze amongst the bush sprits that live around these parts :)
Your piece is beautiful! you can double what everyone has said above for me. They have said it all
Excellent stuff. Didn't realise there was female figure in it until I read other comments!
Lovely :)
It's strange how hidden that figure is when it contrasts so starkly with what flows around it. I love the feeling of movement - the leaves look like flame and liquid and feather - fire, water and air.
Of course now you have to show the rest of the series :)
Thank you for your positive comments Toni and Sara. Hello Pink Lady! I am glad you feel the elements which are supposed to be felt from this image. The figure is camouflaged :) Showing the rest of the series would be selfishly tedious but one might sneak into a future topic for Illustration Friday :)
A wonderful journey into Acheringa, Anonymous! It definitely has an underwater influence to it, like a gently flowing rhythm of water currents and plant fronds. Perhaps she is a Silkie or a salt water Neirid or a slumbering Siren.
Beautiful stuff !
:-)
I thought I had left a comment but I guess I am losing my mind ;( I really love these, the color and transparency of them is lovely.
Ah, dreams of Banannas, in various stages of ripeness :) (Or, perhaps, willow leaves in autumn?) Great as allways
Hello Kim Carney, you aren't losing your mind ... you followed my comment via email :) Just checked back and I'm very grateful for your new Illustrator lesson. I'm trying to re-learn after being away from it for ten years and your added description of process has helped - thanks!
What lovely visions Steve – I have looked at the image in a new way now, perhaps there is water after all :)
New visions also from your comment Tony – I went from thinking maybe she is a mermaid of Steve’s then wondered why her body would be under banana or willow trees. This led me to see the figure as a drowned woman camouflaged by foliage on the banks of a river.
If anyone dreams to leave something REALLY positive are VERY welcome now!
hmmm...i don't know what's callograph is...:(
thanks for your comments :)
yeah i'd changed the look and glad that i'm getting quite a number of positive feedback for this new look.
truly appreciate it :)
Awesomeness. I always look forward to your posts. I love the textures in this one. Great colors, too.
Thanks for visiting the Tatami room. I hope the kimono was comfortable. ;)
Hi Coffee81 :) You can read about collagraphs here: http://www.art.eku.edu/programs/print/tech/collagraph.html
I loved my black silky kimono Jedediah. I have a son who wants to live in Japan also :)
I'm REALLY sorry everyone but I have to turn on comment verification until these spammers go away! Eight spams in last ten minutes!!
brilliant work, so mature and sophisticated, your work is always of a high standard!
;)
M
I just love your work, every week a little more. I love the colors and the flowing lines of this one. Just beautiful!
The layers are moving against each other - flowing in a dreamlike way. Yes, I sense the "dreaming" part of this, the white figure form melding into the leaves. It's funny - I went through a phase of removing all the Aboriginal mythological elements from my work a long time ago, only to find but recently that I'm partly indigenous! The Dreaming is a great idea for this topic and your work is beautiful and resonant as always.
I have a good excuse for being mature Mustashrik, love being seen as sophisticated :)
Thank you Aravis your weekly comments are very much appreciated :)
Ian T. - there was a time when it was considered wrong to include Aboriginal elements and/or mythological interpretation in art unless you knew you were of Aboriginal descent. I have also gone down a corresponding path since plus times have changed now. I think it is indicative our art reflects Aboriginal culture because it is part of Australian culture. This image comes from my ‘truth’ which includes the past and the place and time I now dream :)
Very cool image. I love the colors and motion. I love dreams, too.
HAHA dreaming is pretty cool Mary Stebbins Taitt!
Post a Comment
<< Home