Saturday, August 13, 2005

Wisdom

Click to Enlarge Detail












Medium: Tryptic oil/mixed media paintings on paper.
Size: 2200 x 900mm

Select thumbnail on left to enlarge image. Detail included.

27 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

These are three paintings recording a personal journey to follow the path of ancestors. They were not supposed to be aesthetic and included rocks, moulding paste, bitumen and crackle paste. Guided by wisdom.

Saturday, August 13, 2005  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

And they are beautiful!

Saturday, August 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh ... this really put me in mind of standing stones and doorways. A bit eerie and still for such vibrant colours. Like it :)

Saturday, August 13, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thank you Kim, they are very heavy and three dimensional :)

Very perspective Elaine! This journey involved messengers and the spirit world often connected with Standing Stones and Doorways. We visited graves and spoke to Elders and were also led by sense of place and instinct; too spooky to tell hence painted.

Saturday, August 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!! nice to meet you!!

your art is fantastic!! i'll come soon again here!!


wonderful site..

p.s. thank you x visiting my blog INSPIRATION. ;)

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really reminded me of here - fantastic place.
http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm
- I've been to a few standing stone sites (not the obvious ones)and this one is incredible not just for the place itself, but for the landscape. There's still evidence in the lines of trees and so on. Very moving.

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

Ah, the wisdom of ancient elbows. Too cool as allways

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the texture and the cracking surface.
Don't you just love doing paintings from your guides.
Very wisdom oriented.

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Blogger Rowantree said...

Beautiful !!!

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Love compliments about my art Ody. Your site is VERY inspirational as its name suggests :)

Thanks for the link Elaine. I participate in a yearly South Summer/North Winter Solstice print exchange and receive Newgrange art in the mail. Have you been one of the lucky ones to see the shaft of light in December?

You are way beyond me Guru Tony. I never notice elbows, just feel souls :)

Thanks Toni and Rowantree! My paintings are usually instinctual, prints story telling and sculptures comment on society :)

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a blackboy it the background ? - and before anyone gets any ideas a blackboy is a slow growing native plant. This looks a lovely textural piece. Is it too heavy to place on a wall? And why am I asking all these questions?

Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Blogger kikazinha said...

I really like your art...

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks Lora and Carla :)

That IS a politically correct 'Grass Tree' Detlef; in other words a 'Blackboy' :) If framed correctly it wouldn't be too heavy because in three separate pieces. Perhaps your persistent questioning will bring wisdom Detlef?

Sunday, August 14, 2005  
Blogger Shano said...

Clever! I like your unique take on this week's "wisdom"!

Monday, August 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiiyyyyyyyyy...what the hell happened, spam has actually crossed over into blog land...what an invasion! yuck!
great work luv, crackle paste eh?! that sounds like much fun! did your search prove successful? i love your telling of your quest. very expressive.
cheers,
kerry

Monday, August 15, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks Michelle and Shano :)

Just deleted NASTY spam. Noticed IF submitters have been targeted for past couple of weeks. Although haven’t seen the length of that one before :(

Thanks Kerry. Crackle paste is as fun as moulding paste. One coat acrylic, one coat crackle paste, then another acrylic on top. Then it cracks! My quest was VERY successful for others! One unrelated family linked after being separated for about thirty years. There were also artefacts returned to rightful owners :)

Monday, August 15, 2005  
Blogger chacha said...

this one is awesome! i love all the warm colors and all the textures youve given it. nice job. this surely is the working of an artist that is full of wisdom. i love the different mediums you come up with. awesome!!

Tuesday, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Jeope said...

Stellar piece, 'Nonny. The lengths I would have to go to accomplish something so tactile as this. I just have to overcome my fear of paint!

Tuesday, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Thanks Chacha, it's good to see you experimenting also :)

Jeope, paint is just like mud. Especially if using non-toxic paint. Try fingerpainting, it's fun and not scary at all :)

Tuesday, August 16, 2005  
Blogger steve said...

That's pretty damn sharp lookin', Anonymous! It reminds me of the hanging gardens of Babylon.
:-)

Tuesday, August 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there you!

once more, what more can i say about this illustration than 'wow!

soo nice!

;)

Tuesday, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I've never been to Babylon Steve ... maybe it is the 'old' aspect to these place that bring thoughts of similarity. Babylon isn't a place of babies is it? Like being damn sharp lookin' :)

Hey there you ... WOW back Mustashrik :)

Wednesday, August 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love looking at your work! So inspiring! Love the textures and the colors!!!!!

Thanks for the post on my blog!!

Have a fantastically creative weekend!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Ian T. said...

It's not the destination, it's the getting there that counts. I see the rock-like shapes at centre as the accumulated, collected wisdom of the journey - at the same time, an integrated part of the whole. I see there are some sharp turns on the journey :). You've made excellent use of warm and cool colours, and different texture media!

Thursday, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Everyone is so nice with their compliments :) Thanks Cynische and Jennifer you are both too kind and I enjoy your works also :)

Very wise observation Ian T. Life IS about the journey - called living. Thanks :) Guess no one can accuse you of having a boring life either - Cheruboy wants to see you draw an owl please ;)

Thursday, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Hmmm, I think if I did an ancestral piece it would be quite different, but maybe not. What a wonderful idea. I love it, nice colors, they look like weavings/scarves.

Now you've got me interested in exploring the idea. In dreamtime.

Friday, November 09, 2007  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Glad to inspire!

Friday, November 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home