Glad you like Isay, Vfm4 and Mercedes. This is a portrait I did for my Mum for her sixtieth birthday. The books represent history and knowledge; she also loves reading and owns tarot cards. Mum just recently retired and is beginning the next exciting stage in her life :)
This is wonderful...love the patterns and the "vibe" of the whole thing. I particularly like the way you handled her right hand; just enough cross-contour to give it form, and the lines that run the length of the hand give it grace...beautiful.
Patience is a virtue Miss Daze, but this was quickly executed - they are large strong cuts in the lino. Mum has had the same hair cut for most of her life, now she is retired she is going to experiment with hair dos (amongst other things) Can't wait! Wonder if she will go green or purple dreadlocks. There is a bit of Betty in her.
So now we've seen your mother in two pieces of art - both great pieces by the way. She looks like a pretty hip sort of mother, that blouse is cool too. Beautiful as per usual.
A really well executed linocut! Glad to see someone else is cutting away on this under rated material! You seem to have a strong printmaking background, I like the previous posts. Also, thanks for the comment on Three Fates!
it's so exciting your mum has retired and is ready for a new lease on life...tell her to go nuts! the problem with a job is that you still have to respect dress codes and the like, so can't wait to see her next portrait! cheers, kerry
it always made me sad to see my mum age herself before her time...hell, who says what time is your time?! so instead i buy all mums clothes, encourage her into riskier situations, and hope that she doesn't regret a thing! i could always hook her up with my uncle rick (he lives in bondi) he really knows what living life is all about! cheers, kerry
Anonymous, I love your work! thank you for commenting on my blog, or I may have missed your entries for too long... I have to go through all your earlier posts now. some of your prints look like stain glass.. the light is amazing. (If it's done right (which you do) one of the benefits to showing on the computer screen I guess. )
Really amazing stuff here! I took a look through your posts...you have such a variety of styles and techniques, and they're all quite wonderful. You really create beautiful art.
I'm afraid it might have the opposite effect Kerry if your Mum hooked up with Uncle Rick! He has been practising all his life a different style of living :)
Thanks Janey :)
The Space Above the Couch is a very long name :) Agree the computer is a tool to bring out the positive in an art piece. One reason I don't sell via computer image. I have also done stained glass in the past, and the last two IF entries were digitally manipulated collagraphs to give this effect :)
Glad your Grandma is recovering Coffee81 :) Thanks Michelle. Ta Amy ... I don't know how to answer this question, but sure there are techniques I haven’t tried.
Thank you Wynlen, your illustration has a great 'natural feel' this week.
Thanks Amy ... guessed as much but wanted to say more than Ta. I greatly admire your work and the focus you have on your particular niche or style, practising to perfection. I tend to bore easily and spread in all directions which explains handle on several techniques. Perfection is a lot further away due to spread than a directional focus.
Hi Tony ... the lino was cut in a day unless I rubbed the side of my hand raw in the process ... that would mean a couple in-between another day of cutting. I printed the edition of seven another day and hand coloured Mum's special print a final day. Being a medium size (the size indicates the print, not paper size) it probably took a couple of days cutting. My memory isn't so good as I'm aging :)
Agree Chacha the lines are good for aging lines :)
Thank you Steven!
Here Coffee81? Glad YOU are relieved your stubborn Grandma is being palmed off to me. Glad she is recovering and might not need to make the trip overseas :)
Books as knowledge? We're on the same page with this one :).
The medium (linocut) is so right for this, and I love what you've done with the textures! I finished a comic page recently that has a lot of pictures built with contrasting linear textures, and what you're doing knocks me out!
Did your Mum sit for this, or was it from a photograph? It'd be right at home as an Archibald Prize entry!
Heheee, she wouldn't have liked the print if she wasn't AravisArwen :) Think not many worry about their age once hitting 60.
Get up off the floor Ian T; hope you post new comic on your site. Cheruboy enjoyed your family friendly 'Eat Comics' and a few other Oz ones. Also have a Manboy who is interested in Manga so might get your 'Xuan Xuan' next. Huh ... Mum would have to be a subject of great public interest to enter her for the Archibald! I forced Mum to sit but she didn't mind because likes reading and happily can not move all day. I surprised her by substituting favourite blouse instead of also making her dress for the occasion :)
And this the first time you have given top-notch commentary Jeope? About time! Thanks for finally saying boo :)
This is such a great illu - affectionate and funny. Also such a relief to see a positive spin on ageing (was a bit of a downer going to see some of the other interpretations and quite depressing to find that ageing was seen to be so grim a prospect).
Wow - just wanted to let you know that for a newbie like be this lino is gorgeous. Just started soft-block in the past month. your work is lovely! patty (blarney...)
Thank YOU Monkeypaints - like you I don't see ageing as a grim prospect. Most of us try to live each day the best we can - just can't see that attitude changing as ageing :)
i have just thoroughly enjoyed looking at all your work. You have a beautiful style and it looks like you have lots of patience too. wonderful stuff...will keep looking at your site for new work.
50 Comments:
beautiful!
that's excellent!
Glad you like Isay, Vfm4 and Mercedes. This is a portrait I did for my Mum for her sixtieth birthday. The books represent history and knowledge; she also loves reading and owns tarot cards. Mum just recently retired and is beginning the next exciting stage in her life :)
nice pics.. can't describe the beauty with words..
This is wonderful...love the patterns and the "vibe" of the whole thing. I particularly like the way you handled her right hand; just enough cross-contour to give it form, and the lines that run the length of the hand give it grace...beautiful.
Poor Woofie, you need to find more wordless beauty.
Rick, Mum has graceful hands - thanks for your comment :)
Glad you think so Art-Non-Deco. I like some art deco, when is it non?
This is lovely, Anon. The details are great. You have more patience than I do.
Also, your mom looks a lot like Bette Davis here.
Patience is a virtue Miss Daze, but this was quickly executed - they are large strong cuts in the lino. Mum has had the same hair cut for most of her life, now she is retired she is going to experiment with hair dos (amongst other things) Can't wait! Wonder if she will go green or purple dreadlocks. There is a bit of Betty in her.
Beautonymous, Anonymous. I've tried my hand at linocut and can do it enough to be dangerous but this is a master class in control. T'anks.
woah! your concept and style is so amazing! btw, i think its a book she's holding.
im gonna make a feature about this weeks illo again and adding your work and blog.. this is soo cool!
So now we've seen your mother in two pieces of art - both great pieces by the way. She looks like a pretty hip sort of mother, that blouse is cool too. Beautiful as per usual.
Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com
Thanks for the compliment James, this one called for clear strong controlled cuts.
It is a book Atomicvelvetsigh, thanks will go see :)
Hheee, Mum wants to be even more hip now retired Detlef - a new flamboyant image. That was a favourite silk blouse.
A really well executed linocut! Glad to see someone else is cutting away on this under rated material! You seem to have a strong printmaking background, I like the previous posts. Also, thanks for the comment on Three Fates!
it's so exciting your mum has retired and is ready for a new lease on life...tell her to go nuts! the problem with a job is that you still have to respect dress codes and the like, so can't wait to see her next portrait!
cheers,
kerry
Hey there,
Love the line work here, theres something very nostalgic about the amount of detail you've put into this piece! nice!
And thanks for your sweet comments on my tranquility piece ;)
Im still trying to think of what to do for 'aging'!
Thank you Mike, I looked at the prints in your portfolio and was glad to see another lino cutter, loved your 'Three Fates'!
Exactly Kerry - Mum's very words ... can't wait to see her go even more nuts!
Mustashrik, will make sure I don't miss your 'Aging'. The coloured version of this print was Mum's special birthday gift.
Very well done! The line work is outstanding!
Bravo!
Wow !! Great job with lines !! Nice illo.
Hehehe me too Stosova, ever since a little girl I have been working on becoming more and more wild and nuts. Have until I'm 93 - Mary told me so.
Never thought of it as line work, but it IS cutting in lines - thanks for your Bravo and Wow ElectricGeisha and Rowantree:)
it always made me sad to see my mum age herself before her time...hell, who says what time is your time?! so instead i buy all mums clothes, encourage her into riskier situations, and hope that she doesn't regret a thing! i could always hook her up with my uncle rick (he lives in bondi) he really knows what living life is all about!
cheers,
kerry
This is really beautiful.
Anonymous, I love your work! thank you for commenting on my blog, or I may have missed your entries for too long... I have to go through all your earlier posts now. some of your prints look like stain glass.. the light is amazing. (If it's done right (which you do) one of the benefits to showing on the computer screen I guess. )
Really amazing stuff here! I took a look through your posts...you have such a variety of styles and techniques, and they're all quite wonderful. You really create beautiful art.
I'm afraid it might have the opposite effect Kerry if your Mum hooked up with Uncle Rick! He has been practising all his life a different style of living :)
Thanks Janey :)
The Space Above the Couch is a very long name :) Agree the computer is a tool to bring out the positive in an art piece. One reason I don't sell via computer image. I have also done stained glass in the past, and the last two IF entries were digitally manipulated collagraphs to give this effect :)
Glad you find them beautiful Carla :)
Blog land is no tiring thing for me...at least. But, taking care of someone who is sick does...
But, I'm relieved that she'll be ok soon :)
It is beautiful. Is there any technique you don't excel at?
Glad your Grandma is recovering Coffee81 :) Thanks Michelle. Ta Amy ... I don't know how to answer this question, but sure there are techniques I haven’t tried.
Beautiful. I like the linocut style.
wynlen
wynleDesign
I suppose it was a rhetorical question... as it seems you have quite a handle on so many techniques. :)
Thank you Wynlen, your illustration has a great 'natural feel' this week.
Thanks Amy ... guessed as much but wanted to say more than Ta. I greatly admire your work and the focus you have on your particular niche or style, practising to perfection. I tend to bore easily and spread in all directions which explains handle on several techniques. Perfection is a lot further away due to spread than a directional focus.
beautiful as always- how long does it take you to make one of those?
Hi Tony ... the lino was cut in a day unless I rubbed the side of my hand raw in the process ... that would mean a couple in-between another day of cutting. I printed the edition of seven another day and hand coloured Mum's special print a final day. Being a medium size (the size indicates the print, not paper size) it probably took a couple of days cutting. My memory isn't so good as I'm aging :)
nice job. good choice of medium here. the lines really define the topic of aging well.
Look at all that glorious detail ! Fantastic contribution this week, Anonymous !
:-D
she's on the way there...i'm relieved...
Agree Chacha the lines are good for aging lines :)
Thank you Steven!
Here Coffee81? Glad YOU are relieved your stubborn Grandma is being palmed off to me. Glad she is recovering and might not need to make the trip overseas :)
I love the fact that she is smiling, happy within herself and not appearing worried about her age.
Books as knowledge? We're on the same page with this one :).
The medium (linocut) is so right for this, and I love what you've done with the textures! I finished a comic page recently that has a lot of pictures built with contrasting linear textures, and what you're doing knocks me out!
Did your Mum sit for this, or was it from a photograph? It'd be right at home as an Archibald Prize entry!
Holy shlamola, that is a killer linocut.
btw: I always enjoy checking out the "anonymous" submissions in the list. Your stuff is always top-notch.
Heheee, she wouldn't have liked the print if she wasn't AravisArwen :) Think not many worry about their age once hitting 60.
Get up off the floor Ian T; hope you post new comic on your site. Cheruboy enjoyed your family friendly 'Eat Comics' and a few other Oz ones. Also have a Manboy who is interested in Manga so might get your 'Xuan Xuan' next. Huh ... Mum would have to be a subject of great public interest to enter her for the Archibald! I forced Mum to sit but she didn't mind because likes reading and happily can not move all day. I surprised her by substituting favourite blouse instead of also making her dress for the occasion :)
And this the first time you have given top-notch commentary Jeope? About time! Thanks for finally saying boo :)
This is such a great illu - affectionate and funny. Also such a relief to see a positive spin on ageing (was a bit of a downer going to see some of the other interpretations and quite depressing to find that ageing was seen to be so grim a prospect).
Thanks!
astonishing craftmanship :")
Wow - just wanted to let you know that for a newbie like be this lino is gorgeous. Just started soft-block in the past month.
your work is lovely! patty
(blarney...)
Thank YOU Monkeypaints - like you I don't see ageing as a grim prospect. Most of us try to live each day the best we can - just can't see that attitude changing as ageing :)
Hehee thanks Louise, actually craftwomanship :)
Welcome to the world of printmaking Patty :)
i have just thoroughly enjoyed looking at all your work. You have a beautiful style and it looks like you have lots of patience too. wonderful stuff...will keep looking at your site for new work.
Thank you Miss Sam Duffy :)
VERY COOL LINO! WOW! Nice detail and comp! This is a hard medium! Nice job!
Thanks Mary Stebbins Taitt :) It's over ten years old now but still a favourite HAHA.
This is really amazing!
Pleased you still think so Mary :)
Post a Comment
<< Home