Thanks Bridgette, it's the view from my veranda once upon a time - soothing. Janey asked "What's a Zinc etching?" and Aravis Arwen pointed out the 'atmosphere'. A zinc plate is coated with bitumen called the 'ground' which acid can not bite through. An image is scribed on the surface with an etching needle, thus exposing areas of metal. The whole plate is then immersed in acid (I used copper sulphate) until the exposed lines are bitten. This produces grooves in the metal that will hold ink. The ground is then removed, before the plate is printed on an etching press.
To create the receding depth or (atmosphere), fine particles of spray paint that is acid-resistant is sprayed on areas on the plate. This is called aquatinting. It is then immersed for different amounts of time in acid which bites into the plate. After removing the particles, tiny pits hold the ink when it is printed. Thanks for your positive comments :)
This is beautifully done. As a printmaker myself (although I've done etchings) your description is clear and concise. I thought I knew, now I know better. - Mick
Wow ... fine eyes and HUGE compliments! First influence apart from Blyton Book and 19thC illustrations (Robyn) was Roger Dean's original albumn sized book 'Views' which strongly influenced the beginnings of my art. Dean works a lot of the time with Michael Kaluta (Steve). Thanks printmaker Mick, altered chemicals for traditional methods are for health and environment reasons. You all have fine eyes and minds for detail!
8 Comments:
Beautiful illustration. I love the line work. It's very soothing to me.
I really like this. It's moody and atmospheric.
This is so very pretty. What's a zinc etching?
Thanks Bridgette, it's the view from my veranda once upon a time - soothing. Janey asked "What's a Zinc etching?" and Aravis Arwen pointed out the 'atmosphere'. A zinc plate is coated with bitumen called the 'ground' which acid can not bite through. An image is scribed on the surface with an etching needle, thus exposing areas of metal. The whole plate is then immersed in acid (I used copper sulphate) until the exposed lines are bitten. This produces grooves in the metal that will hold ink. The ground is then removed, before the plate is printed on an etching press.
To create the receding depth or (atmosphere), fine particles of spray paint that is acid-resistant is sprayed on areas on the plate. This is called aquatinting. It is then immersed for different amounts of time in acid which bites into the plate. After removing the particles, tiny pits hold the ink when it is printed.
Thanks for your positive comments :)
Your 'Bloom' response reminds me of the illustrations in 19th books. It is fabulous. Thanks for explaining the zinc etching process - fascinating.
Cheers
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles Journal
This is beautifully done. As a printmaker myself (although I've done etchings) your description is clear and concise. I thought I knew, now I know better.
- Mick
I luv the delicate look of this work ! It reminds me of Michael Kaluta's art when he uses just ink. Great illustration !
Wow ... fine eyes and HUGE compliments! First influence apart from Blyton Book and 19thC illustrations (Robyn) was Roger Dean's original albumn sized book 'Views' which strongly influenced the beginnings of my art. Dean works a lot of the time with Michael Kaluta (Steve). Thanks printmaker Mick, altered chemicals for traditional methods are for health and environment reasons. You all have fine eyes and minds for detail!
Post a Comment
<< Home